Friday, March 15, 2013

Days #17-18

Good morning to me. 4:30 and my phone is dinging from a mass text sent in the US that people are responding to. I try to ignore but I'm unsuccessful. I am also having a little pain in my back some mornings due to I believe the mattress here. My bed at home is so darn comfortable that I never am quite as satisfied when I sleep elsewhere. Ran a hot bath and soaked until the water got cold, then I let half out and refilled. 6:30 I finally got out of the tub and decided to throw on my clothes and get ready for breakfast. 7:00. I arrived at breakfast thinking that I would be the only one here but to my surprise, Chad, Lisa, And the new guy Russ were all there. Chad said that his daughter woke him up at four thirty as well. I thought this was a funny coincidence. We were planning on heading into town today to do a bit of shopping. Unfortunately it snowed two inches the night before so our plans were possibly going to change. I ate my usual and then it was appointment time.
8:30 I started the day with a reflexology appointment. Markus and I talked about obamacare and my thoughts on it. I will never discuss anything political in my blog, I feel that we are all entitled to our own opinions. I feel that that's all I'm going to say about that! We also talked about this festival that was going to happen later that day in the next town. Chad, Lisa, and myself were already thinking about this for today. Plans still in the air! 9:05 I have hyperthermia with no injections. One of the nurses came and talked with me for a little while. She asked if I liked poker. I said that I can play it but I'm not much of a gambler. She said that her brother is my age and plays every weekend. She was asking if I was interested in playing with them. I told her perhaps. Her concern was that I was bored here being that I'm so much younger then all the other patients. The people here are always so thoughtful. I assured her that I've been alright and actually enjoying myself and thanked her for her offer. 10:10 I decided to have a detox foot bath. They soak your feet for a half hour in an ionized bath and the toxins secrete from your feet. It's really nasty how many toxins your body has in them. When I started the water was clear. After twenty minutes it was the color of beef broth. I will do another on Monday. 10:40 I did the magnetic field treatment.  I returned to my room for a liver hot pack and some time to send emails.
12:00 I went down to lunch and the sun had decided to peak through. Chad approached me and said that he needed to get out today. I was all for it. I ate my lunch which consisted of creamy rosemary soup, and white asparagus with risotto. The nurse earlier said that "you must have the dessert today!" So I had it. It was a fresh apple fritter type dessert with ice cream. Wow! It was awesome. Chad and I planned to leave at one thirty. I went to my room to get changed and situated for the adventure.
1:30 I'm in the lobby waiting for Chad nod Lisa.  He comes down and says that the Dr. Wanted to speak to him so he would be a few more minutes. I am in no hurry so I waited. When they were ready they told me that Stephan was gonna give us a ride to the train station. This cut a out a half hour out of the trip. We got to the station and purchased our tickets and then we were off to Rosenheim. We arrived in Rosenheim and wanted to look for some souvenir shops, we walked for two hours only to find that all the stores here sold the same stuff we could get back at home. The difference was the price. More expensive here. It snowed on us a lot today so we went for refuge in a little coffee shop. It was so warm in the shop that we didn't want to leave. We noticed around us that all the people were eating cakes and sweets. Dessert is an everyday practice here I'm noticing. Maybe it's like this at home too I just don't pay that close of attention. We left the coffee shop to head back to the train station where we would catch the train back towards the clinic with a pit stop at the town between Rosenheim and Brannenburg. We got on the train and when it left, we were going the wrong way! Shit! We started laughing!  We started towards some town called "helz kichoen" or something like that. I said "hells kitchen". When we arrived, we jumped off and caught the next train to rosenheim.
5:50 we get back to rosenheim. The next train to brannenburg is at 6:40. We go into the station to wait and look around at the little businesses that are in this station. 6:30 and we head over to the track where our train is supposed to leave from. Get up there and the train had just departed. We missed it by two minutes. The time we read for departure was the arrival time at the station we were going too. Shit!! Now we have to wait another hour for the next train to brannenburg.  At this point we are getting frustrated, hungry, tired, we are just laughingly trying to hold it together. We decide to skip the festival and get back to the town we need to be in.
7:40 we arrive in Brannenburg and look for a restaurant because we missed dinner completely at the clinic. We decided on Italian. We got to the restaurant and sat with relief that we were finally going to get to eat. The waiter brought us a bruschetta each. It was very tasty, my wife's is still better but this was pretty good. I had a soup with a couple real thin pieces of meat and vegetables along with a pizza margahrita. Very delicious. Very filling. We paid our bill and then made. The half hour trek back home. It was so cold that the ground was freezing. Black ice everywhere on the road. It would be scary to drive in this weather I think.
9:30. Got back to the clinic. Frozen to the bone. Said my goodnights to Chad and Lisa. Thanked them for a fun and "exciting" day. Returned to my room. Informed all you that the blog wasn't coming tonight. Ran a hot bath. Warmed up. Crawled into bed. Lights out. The end......


DAY 18

Today I woke up at 6:15 feeling well rested and ready for another fabulous day of German healthcare. Normal routine and off to breakfast. 7:20. I ordered three eggs scrambled and I made a breakfast sandwich with a Little cheese,egg,ham,cucumber,tomato,bell pepper and cream cheese! Yeah it was awesome. Very filling too. 8:00 the appointments have begun. Hyperthermia with infusions. I read my book for a little bit and also spent some time pondering what I read. I'm noticing that this book, has a lot of the principles that were introduced to me through A.A.  I started wondering if the author was a former alcoholic or if she was a "coda". (co-dependent). Both follow the same kind of spiritual program. I have realized a lot about myself over the past couple of years. When I was diagnosed, I was heavily involved in A.A.  I believe that this prepared me in so many ways for the battle that I was about to face. I got better while maintaining some normalcy with this program even though I was becoming less and less involved. I went into remission and got cocky. Lost my sight in the higher power and within six months I was back where I started.  Only at this point a lot of walls were up between me and my god. I can make a million excuses, trust me we all can! The point here is that I made a decision to believe that I beat the cancer without the help of a higher power and it came back. It has taken me almost two years to fully realize what had happened. I turned my back, I threw pity party's, I stayed sick!  Trust me I'm nowhere near perfect, would never claim that, but I would like to strive for perfection in my health from this day forward. I will start with my relationship with my "higher power" and every other relationship will work itself out. Wow! I just went on a little tangent! Back to my treatment. 9:00 went in to get my magnetic field treatment and read my book again for twenty minutes.
Came back to my room and threw on some snow clothing and went outside to build a snow gnome. I made this little guy and put him in a tree. I took pictures that ill post to Facebook later. When I went to move him to another location he broke. My hand were freezing at this point so I went back inside. 10:30. Appointment with markus. We talked theater and drama. I told him that I used to be involved in this in high school but that I developed stage fright in my junior year and dropped out. He talked about the different actors that he has worked with and how they all prepare different for going on stage. I remember this too from when I would do shows. I always loved the energy befor and after a show. All the adrenalin that was released. Best natural high ever. 11:00 liver hot pack before lunch.
12:00 went down for lunch. They were serving creamy kohlorabi  soup, and noodles with salmon. Very good lunch. I was so full after that I returned to my room and took a nap. I awoke just after 3:00. My stomach has been bubbly since lunch, I just kept laying in bed until dinner. I started reading a different book " the way of the peaceful warrior". Good book so far. 5:20. I went to dinner and ordered some soup. Then I ordered another soup. Then they served veal sausage and sour kraut. It was good. The sausage was not that heavy. I sat and chatted with Chad and Lisa about this and that. We are going to Munich tomorrow again to watch street performers and shop and whatnot. It is now 7:20 and I am done blogging for the day. I hope you all enjoy this. I enjoyed writing it. Thanks for the support. Love to all of you from Europe. Keep tuned for tomorrow. Blog might be late tomorrow night. Just a warning. Lucas.

1 comment:

  1. lOVE THIS BLOG!!! I was going through blog withdrawals yesterday and today until I read this. Awesome!!! Your strength, your energy, your attitude are so amazing!!!! I just want to hug you!!!! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete